{"id":4391,"date":"2022-05-26T00:19:28","date_gmt":"2022-05-25T22:19:28","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/?p=4391"},"modified":"2022-05-26T00:30:43","modified_gmt":"2022-05-25T22:30:43","slug":"remedios-the-oldest-town-of-chiriqui-province","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/2022\/05\/26\/remedios-the-oldest-town-of-chiriqui-province\/","title":{"rendered":"Remedios, the Oldest Town of Chiriqui Province"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p>The data compiled in the book &#8220;Chiriqui: Rasgos y\nSemblanzas&#8221;, Remedios is the oldest of the towns in the province of\nChiriqui, and according to historians, it was founded in 1589 by Captain Mart\u00edn\nGutierrez, receiving the name of Our Lady of the Remedies or New Town. The\nfoundation of Remedios was carried out by order of the Governor of Veraguas,\nDon Pedro Riquelme.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image\"><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" width=\"768\" height=\"677\" src=\"https:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-content\/uploads\/2022\/05\/Compress_20220525_172257_7343.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-4394\"\/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p><strong>Relevant Shopping Center of the Spanish Crown<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>Before it became an important town for the Spanish\ncrown, a fire devastated the town in 1620, and for that reason it had to be\nmoved to the vicinity of the San Felix River.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>Due to its proximity to the sea and the possession of\ntimber resources necessary to manufacture boats, Los Remedios, as it was called\nin those years, became an important commercial center, and constituted an\nobligatory passage between the city of Santiago de Veraguas and Chiriqui.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>In the 17th century, Remedios was considered one of\nthe most greatest population centers for the political, civil and religious\nadministration of the Spanish Crown in the Isthmus of Panama.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image\"><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" width=\"1280\" height=\"1280\" src=\"https:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-content\/uploads\/2022\/05\/Compress_20220525_172256_6763.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-4395\" srcset=\"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-content\/uploads\/2022\/05\/Compress_20220525_172256_6763.jpg 1280w, http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-content\/uploads\/2022\/05\/Compress_20220525_172256_6763-150x150.jpg 150w\" sizes=\"(max-width: 1280px) 100vw, 1280px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p><strong>Fall and Recovery<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>In 1680, a group of pirates attacked the prosperous\ntown of Remedios, but its inhabitants bravely confronted their attackers and\nmanaged to contain the aggression. However, five years later, they were once\nagain the target of corsair attacks, who redoubled their attack and wiped out\nthe entire population.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>Then Remedios recovered the brilliance of its early\ndays, due to the commercial prosperity that it acquired, as a result of the\ngold mines called Lobaina.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p><strong>Historically Productive Region<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>Prior to the creation of the Ng\u00e4be Buge Comarca,\nRemedios was made up of the following regions: Cerro Iglesias, El Nancito, Hato\nChami, Lajero and\nRemedios, but with the demarcation, Cerro Iglesias and Hato Chami passed to the\nComarca jurisdiction.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>The Remedios district is located between the San Felix\nand Tole in the east region of Chiriqui and produces rice, sorghum, watermelon,\npumpkin, melon, bejuco beans and cattle, and in this line, it is the district with\nthe highest density of cattle per hectare registered at the national level. In\naddition to these products, its inhabitants practice white shrimp and snapper\nfishing.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image\"><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" width=\"350\" height=\"263\" src=\"https:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-content\/uploads\/2022\/05\/Compress_20220525_172257_7183.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-4396\"\/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p><strong>Places of interest<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>The sites of interest in Remedios are the historical\nmonuments of the old town of Nuestra Se\u00f1ora de los Remedios, such as the bells\ndating from 1682, the petroglyphs of Nancito, rocky bodies with carved\ninscriptions, (probably by Carib\nIndians), cattle farms and the beautiful beaches that have not yet been\nexploited.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>The vestiges of the colonial era and the first settlements of the indigenous people are some of the attractions of the district of Remedios, in the province of Chiriqui.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image\"><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" width=\"960\" height=\"720\" src=\"https:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-content\/uploads\/2022\/05\/Compress_20220525_172257_7097.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-4397\"\/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>The data compiled in the book &#8220;Chiriqui: Rasgos y Semblanzas&#8221;, Remedios is the oldest of the towns in the province of Chiriqui, and according to historians, it was founded in 1589 by Captain Mart\u00edn Gutierrez, receiving the name of Our Lady of the Remedies or New Town. The foundation of Remedios was carried out by [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":4393,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":[],"categories":[31],"tags":[],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/4391"}],"collection":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=4391"}],"version-history":[{"count":2,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/4391\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":4398,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/4391\/revisions\/4398"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/4393"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=4391"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=4391"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.thevisitorpanama.info\/eng\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=4391"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}